Skip to main content

Cyclist In Natick Dragging Alive, Condition Unknown

By November 20, 2009October 24th, 2022No Comments

The MetroWest Daily News: Cyclist in Natick dragging alive, condition unknown

By Abby Jordan/Daily News staff
The MetroWest Daily News
Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

The 30-year-old man who was badly injured in South Natick Wednesday night when his bicycle was struck and dragged by a car is alive, though his condition is unknown, police said.

No additional information on the accident, which remains under investigation, will be available until today, Lt. Brian Grassey said last night.

The accident happened on Rte. 16 at about 7:25 p.m., when a Volvo sedan driven by an unidentified woman hit the bicyclist. The man and his bike were dragged beneath the car for about 300 yards down the street until the car came to a stop on Water Street.

A black mark etched into the road, likely by the bike as it was dragged, is visible on Rte. 16, starting near Pizza Shop at South Natick on the corner of Rte. 16 and Union Street.

The mark becomes more pronounced traveling east on Rte. 16, past Eliot Montessori School and Auburn Street, then turns right onto Water Street.

About 50 feet down Water Street, the mark ends, and yesterday morning a small blood mark was visible nearby, though most of it had been covered by absorbent material.

Marco Kaltofen, who lives on Water Street near where the car came to a stop, said he and his wife were in their living room last night when they heard a scraping noise, then a woman hysterically screaming.

Rushing outside, they saw the man and bike beneath the car. Someone was already calling 911. The couple declined to elaborate on what else they saw.

“He’s lucky the fire station is so close,” Kaltofen said.

Firefighters and medics from nearby Station 2 arrived within a minute, and used tools to lift the car off the pavement, and the man, who was initially unconscious, regained consciousness.

The man was taken by ambulance to Memorial School, where a medical rescue helicopter landed. He was flown to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, Grassey said.